Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Prep...


Perfect Timing!  My favorite green box ever!

Methods

Ingredients
Onions: cut!  Note to self: wear contacts instead of glasses next time!  You'd think I was crying my eyes out!  I like to do all onions at once so then I can distribute them into various dishes without repeating the onions step...Used to pans at once and then combined the results.






Peels have been put into the strainer, carefully washed, and plopped into the large pot for veggie stock (see below).




Squash: Peels went directly into the pot.  Rest of the squash has been cut


and prepped for roasting!


Part 2: Vegetable Stock...
Background: I haven't had much luck with vegetable stock from stores...  They're always too strongly flavored so I'm trying the vegetable scrap version of making homemade stock.  I keep hearing that restaurants tend to use scraps to make their stocks.  We are going to try the veggie scrap /environmentally sound thing...worst case scenario, I'll throw the whole thing way and have wasted some water.  The nice thing about organic vegetables is that having scrubbed them well, the skins really should be flavorful and good for stock...we'll see!  I'm kind of excited to try something new.

Methods: I'm trying a combination of these:
http://www.squidoo.com/vegetable-broth
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vegetable-Stock-14411
http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-cut-butternut-squash.html

olive oil, onion peel, sliced garlic (peels still on), butternut squash peels and gunk, kale stalks, thyme, black peppercorn, sea salt, some caramelized onions thus far...

No comments: