Saturday, November 20, 2010

Buttersquash soup

Adventures in saving soup!

I am in love with butternut squash soup.  Every time my coworker goes to ABP for lunch and returns back with a bowl of butternut squash or pumpkin soup, I find myself incapable of fighting against the power of the soup...and despite having brought lunch to save money, I end up finding my two little feet at the cash register of ABP paying for soup.

It is sad that I am usually too lazy to make soup myself.  Well, I finally took the effort to roast my butternut squash from my last two organic veggie batches and was proud of myself for being so motivated...I roasted the quash with a little olive oil, garlic, basalmic vinegar, and brown sugar... The squash itself was delicious, so I expected the soup to be as well.  I could not have been more wrong!  It was so sad!  As if I don't have more important things to think about, I have been driving myself nutty the last few days with trying to tinker with the soup until all items were in the perfect ratio...  On day 3, I have finally achieved success!

The final ingredients:

  • 1 onion, caramelized with several cloves of garlic
  • Chunked butternut squash, roasted with garlic, olive oil, basalmic vinegar, brown sugar, freshly ground peppercorn, and sea salt
  • Reduced red wine
  • Milk (I used soy)
  • And the missing ingredients that finally made life oh so much better that I forgot about?
    • Carrots!!!!!!!  Improved the texture dramatically
    • Cumin
    • Thyme
    • Cinnamon
    • 2T of butter


Finally...  perfection in a bowl!  Phew!

No comments: