Saturday, October 23, 2010

Ode to Henrietta's bread pudding

Saturday mornings

Background Saturday mornings are my favorite... there's nothing quite like lying in bed with the sun streaming through the windows, and not feeling rushed to leave the house after having selected "snooze" on my phone ten times. I once thought that having "calypso" sounds in the morning would help wake me up. Instead, I'm fairly certain that I'm now traumatized by the mental images of the Caribbean every morning that signal to me that I'm running late...

The second best part of Saturday mornings is eating breakfast at home. Last weekend, it was the chocolate chip pumpkin pancakes and the kale potato hash with eggs... This morning's adventure: a breakfast edition (a.k.a. no rum) of chocolate bread pudding with caramelized bananas. The idea came to me after having dinner with Rod and Marc. We'd gone to dinner the other night at Henrietta's Table www.henriettastable.com/ after Marc gave a lecture at Harvard on glbt youths in religious schools. As part of their weeknight "yard sale" of picking two items, we'd had dessert: Henrietta's chocolate bread pudding with caramelized bananas. We all know that I've been obsessed with bread pudding for years. I thought it was high time for making a simpler but tasty breakfast edition.

Banana bread pudding with chocolate and cherry sauce


Methods

1. Whisked (soy) milk, one egg, vanilla, cinnamon, and cherry preserves in a large glass bowl
2. Cut up / ripped up chunks of challah and tossed in bowl to coat / soak
3. Melted 1 t of butter in a skillet
4. Poured butter into large bowl of other ingredients
5. Cooked sliced bananas (from the produce box!) over medium heat.


6. Buttered a mini loaf pan
7. Tossed all ingredients in with a few chunks of bittersweet chocolate (from Trader Joe's pound plus bars)
8. Cooked at 350 degrees

Results a happy camper for a smidgeon of the costs!



No comments: