Wednesday, October 20, 2010

In love with organic veggies

Background:
I receive a box of organic veggies and fruits from Boston Organics every other Thursday. It's wonderful because
a) I don't have to lug vegetables home from the store by foot
b) It makes me feel as if I'm loved enough to get packages in the mail (hey, so what if I paid for it myself?)
c) It forces me to eat a variety of items...but if I'm going on vacation, or if there's something I truly don't like, I can opt out of the delivery without fretting about finding a replacement
d) I get too stressed out at grocery stores by how much the produce will cost...whereas if I know I'm spending $29 every two weeks on produce, it's far easier to plan the rest of my food budget.

In any case, it's been a fun week of cooking. I tried detouring from my usual Chinese style cauliflower this week, and made roasted Cauliflower instead. It was amazing--I tossed the pieces in a little garam masala, cumin, chili powder, tumeric, and olive oil. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

The other highlight of this week was kale potato hash. I am in love with brunch foods. My favorite place in Miami (Ice Box Cafe) used to change their menus daily based on what was seasonal. As always, I spend forever choosing between options and am always in fear of ordering the wrong item and spending my mealtime in envy of a friend's meal choice. Ever since on one such occasion, a friend ordered a meal that included kale hash, I've been intending to try it at home as well.

Methods:
Friday night:
Kale
1. Wash kale
2. Dip into salted boiling water until the leaves just turn dark green.
3. Remove from heat. Depending on supply of kale from the produce box, drain and freeze anything not planning to be eaten.

Potatoes
1. Peel potatoes, boil them until fork can go through but not mushy. (I'm lazy and just use the water still left from the kale)
2. Remove and store for the morning... if looking for a midnight snack, turn one of the potatoes into mashed potato... (not that I'd ever make comfort food in the middle of the night)

Saturday morning:
1. Grate potatoes.
2. Mix with kale
3. Pan fry in a skillet that's been coated with olive oil.


Results
It turned out far easier than I expected. I couldn't have been a happier little girl when I had them along with chocolate pumpkin pancakes... (yes the joy of home brunch is that I don't have to choose between the savory and sweet...I can have both!)

Homage to Ice Box

No comments: