Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Brunch with grandma

I would've taken pics but the meal was dug into before I had time to pull out the cam... I'm not kidding you, the elderly may take half an hour to walk down a block, but they can be quick when they want to...and have selective appetites...


Gram's meal:
1 Banana walnut pancake with vermont maple syrup
(Pan fry 1 1/2 bananas in butter and remove to place in the batter...
toast walnuts...
Make batter: 1c flour, 1t baking powder, 1/2t baking soda, salt, 1 egg, 1 cup of milk, would've added a teaspoon of vinegar had I had it...or a few tablespoons of sour cream had my grandmum not stuck it in the freezer, caramelized bananas, and toasted walnuts)
1 Egg, over easy
1 vegetarian sausage
1 c milk
1/2 c coffee
1 small piece caramel apple bar

Yes, I could be a housewife...!
I more or less had the same but with soy and skipped the egg...

Speaking of caramel apple bar...I found the missing pyrex bowl and container after grandmum went to bed.  And I couldn't figure out how to get my mouse to work last night (long story) and my trackpad is dead so oh well, pity me, I just *had* to bake.

Here's the rest of the Caramel Apples experiment:

1c sugar
1/2 c water
Put on high heat until boiling (careful!!!!!)
Once it starts boiling, gently swish it around to evenly caramelize sugar
Very very carefully add a pat of butter at a time until you get caramel

There weren't a whole lot of apples left once my grandmum finished snacking on them but I spread what was left onto a greased cake pan and poured the caramel on top.

In a separate bowl, I mixed two eggs and three egg yolks, sugar, flour, baking, salt, and cooled melted butter.  I poured this on top of the caramelized apples and baked at 350 for 30 minutes.
In the future, I'd use a deeper pan perhaps--e.g., a round one.  But it still tasted good :)






No comments: