Friday, November 11, 2011

Roommate Challenge



Background: My roommates bought a pumpkin ice cream from Trader Joe's that they quite disliked.  They kindly (?) offered it to me.  At dinner, we discussed alternative uses of food...and it suddenly dawned on me that perhaps, the pumpkin ice cream could serve as an easy base for savory pumpkin-cream-based concoctions.  It was deemed perhaps unlikely, given that the ice cream is quite sweet.  The challenge was on.  They agreed to sample what I made, so long as it was in good faith effort to be edible.  

Method
I created two items:
1. pumpkin empanadas with kale and chipotle salsa (eaten before the camera)
2. pumpkin and goat cheese bake.

Results
Both were edible...and actually quite delightful! :)

Discussion
Future studies should consider the costs and benefits of using pumpkin ice cream for savory dishes versus eating the ice cream itself (which I quite like, when eaten with melted chocolate chips)

No comments: